Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Jack and his faulty brakes...

Today was the reading/review day for my exams, which means that you can go and ask questions or you can stay home and study/do whatever. Having no questions to ask, I derped on the internet, played music, ate Japanese food (thank you, Japan, for your awesomeness and your wasabi), and rode my trusty steed, Jack.
In case you don't know Jack and are too lazy to go back and find the post that explains him, he is a short black horse with a strong liking for peppermints, anarchy, and going fast. After three years with him, I've mostly fixed the anarchy and speed while strengthening the mint addiction.
Today, he was kind of hyper and would honestly rather have stayed in the stall, going in circles and eating, but after a struggle to keep him away from the food bucket long enough to get his bridle on, he allowed himself to be taken to the ring.
We spent the entire lesson working on going slowly and not passing each other.
This kind of fell apart when we all started cantering, and my teacher rode someone else's horse because he was being really stubborn. Of course, when she got on, he immediately slowed down to almost a walk. And she told me to stay behind her at a trot.

I'm sure Jack was plotting my slow and painful death the whole time. Which is fine, because he never carries out those plans and it took his mind off of pointlessly resisting my every move.

After the lesson, I was given Jack and another horse and told to take them to the barn. Instead of cooperating, they both went in opposite directions and started grazing.

After using something close to inhuman strength to pull their heads up and towards me, I powerwalked in a circle and took them to the barn. If you don't know what this is like, imagine pulling two toddlers around, but said toddlers weigh about half a ton each with most of that being muscle. It went fairly well until Jack started trotting and the other horse stopped to graze, so I had to do this fancy arm motion to get them to stop that. Luckily, another girl was leading her horse in front of me and left the pasture gate open so that I could get in without having to stop. I have no idea how this was managed with no injuries or escaped horses, but it was. I guess I'm just awesome that way.

"But Xenon," you say, "If Jack is so difficult, why don't you switch horses?"
It would be like nearly mastering a game on the hardest setting and then switching to easy, but you're friends with the hard setting because it's alive and has a personality. Accept my analogy, dangit.
Also, Jack is an extremely good horse once you figure out what to do with him. He's pretty adorable, too-he tilts his head sideways and arches his neck when I come in his stall, and he guesses which hand his mints are in every time I bring them. The last thing, because I don't want this to go on forever, is that he never actually hurts anyone (at least not on purpose, and not often by accident). For this reason, I can occasionally let him decide what to do instead of telling him. Not often, since that would make him more headstrong, but every once in a while.

This horse pretty much reminds me of myself, but horsier.

Anyway, I know a lot of you people could care less about horses and are even more indifferent to what I think about mine. So here are some pictures.

If you don't get it, just keep looking for a while.


This caused a Luna Lovegood-esque uncontrollable laugh. (Remember the part in book 5 when Ron imitates Goyle and Luna's all "HAHAHAHALOLOLOLOLROFLMAO BABOON'S BACKSIDE THAT IS SO FUNNY LOLOLOLOLOL" and everyone thinks something's wrong with her? Yeah, that.)
But seriously, an explanation of this would be great.

That's all. I need to study.
Emo haircuts are for giraffesKBYE.
-Xenon

No comments:

Post a Comment